The Hunger Games - Is the "Movie" all that? Review

the hunger games

The Hunger Games - Is the "Movie" all that, damn straight it is!
The Hunger Games, the Movie - is it all that - damn straight it is! If you go by the hoopla and the box office numbers - it's the best thing ever. I admit it, I went to see it on its first day – on the ticket line to see the movie I read about how it made $19 million during its midnight showing the night before [ impressive ]. But does this make it a great movie or just the only good thing that was available? Did the hype build up suspense and is it only the teenagers and the pre-teens that made this blockbuster turn out so big?

katniss the hunger gamesThe reason I bring it up is because the only reason why I saw this movie was: 1- It seemed action pack compared to other movies and it gave me the twilight kind of vibe [ yes I liked twilight, I favor the last three so far, but enjoyed the books more ]. 2- My daughter insisted on watching this movie over the Lorax - she is 14 what do you expect and again, she is a big fan of Twilight.

Infact my daughter has all ready caught the "The Hunger Games" craze fan daze. I remember when it was all about Harry Potter and before the Harry Potter movie series were done - here came Twilight and her attention went from Harry to Edward just like that. Now before Twilight has even shown its last movie she is a crazed fan of the Hunger Games and wants me to get her the posters, the pictures and all this other stuff [ your typical teenager ].

That is why I am wondering if the big hoopla about its opening weekend really means that it was a great movie - or just a good movie with a lot of good luck, great timing and awesome promotions?

the hunter games movieThe 'Hunger Games' devours box office with $155M opening
By Joshua L. Weinstein
"The Hunger Games" beat even the most optimistic box-office expectations in its debut weekend, grossing an estimated $155 million domestically and setting several records. Lionsgate's movie opened bigger than any movie ever to open in the period between January and April. It is the biggest non-sequel opening ever and the third-biggest movie opening ever.
More on Hunter Games Movie box office take

Well, the first thing you should know is - Yes, I liked the movie.

the hunger gamesI honestly believe it is a good movie. It gives you a little bit of everything if you think about it. It gives you a PG13 rating so all the kids can go. It gives you drama, a bit of suspense, action and The Hunger Games does a great job of trying to tug on your heart strings - you want to love the main character Katniss. The faults – yes, it has faults: they squeeze too much into The Hunger Games with little in-depth detail. They don’t really build up any of the characters, not even Katniss [ probably not enough time ].

The movie has a slow beginning [ especially if your there for the action ] and it's not because their building up a story line, because they fail to fill in all of the blanks [ if you haven't read the book, like me - you feel like you’re missing something ] - the blanks which were filled in by my daughter who only read half the book because she found it "too slow". My daughter tells me that, and I don't know if it is true, that the first two chapters of The Hunger Games is about “Katniss” in the woods hunting while trying to catch a bird - not a deer like in the movie. This is why I will probably end up reading the book, like I did with Twilight [ I want the facts, details ].

The reason I say that part of the interest in this movie comes from Twilight fans is because, let’s face it, Twilight is over. Most people have read all the books, seen all the latest movies and are moving on... Not that they won’t go to see the last Twilight movie - it's that there is nothing left and they have to cling to something new, something they know will be there next week, next year and beyond that , if only in their hearts and minds.

the hunger games

Hunger Games - Five things you should know if you have not read the Book

Ofcourse fans are fickle and some just hate it if you compare it to Harry Potter or Twilight:

Comment [ On Hunger Games ]
RickRickard
This is totally not comparable with Harry Potter. Hunger Games sucks. Mindless and violent. There has to be a lot of dedicated fans to make so much noise about this goose shit. Kids killing kids for televised entertainment in future America- not sure how this sounds good or fun.

I remember when people were all up in arms about Harry being dribble, about how it promoted witch craft or that it made no sense - that quickly changed after time.
All I can say is: it was a good movie, it could have been better – but it was good. It certainly has enjoyed a favorable time due to luck and even luckier timing, plus a great promotional build up by the masses and not just the movie promoters. Like Harry Potter, Like Bella - it will build a following - it's inevitable. If my daughter is any example of what pre-teens and young teens are like, they will flock from Twilight in droves to become ”The Hunger Games” fanatics. They will go from choosing team Edward or Team Jacob – to the love triangle between Katniss, Peeta, and Gale Hawthorne. What teenage girl doesn’t love a good love triangle?
That is, until something better comes along.

Ofcourse, in my opinion – this movie does nothing to show a love triangle. Yes, you see the beginnings of” love” with Katniss and Peeta, but it only seems like a close friendship with Gale. But like I said, I haven’t read any of The Hunger Games books – so what do I know.

Inside the New 'Hunger Games' Facebook Game Hunger Games FB

Hunger Games Update: I have been informed by my daughter that Peeta was not wounded as in the movieversion; he lost his leg and was given a prosthetic leg…. I am really going to have to read the book to get the facts.

hunger games the movie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meaning of Words: Stupid, Dumb, Ignorant, foolish and Retarded

STUCK ! on Bush Gardens ride

Hotel Coco Keys - vacation Gone wild, fun !