Want more LUCK! - can you create it or just happens?

Life is strange; you never really know what can happen – especially when you’re not looking for it. You know what I mean?

Things you thought were impossible or out of your reach – things you thought you would never do: they just fall in your lap. Now, don’t get me wrong: I believe in hard work. I believe people should strive for more, learn as much as one can (that pertains to their goals in life) and that life should always be a progression of ‘learning’.

teach children
“The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck.”
~ Tony Robbins

To be honest I am not a fan of luck, I don’t believe things happen just because – yes you can be lucky. Someone can come and give you an opportunity of a life time: but what if you don’t have the skills, the mind set, the work ethic? How can you benefit from that lucky opportunity? Also, luck as in 'opportunities' seem to find people who have the right work ethic, skills set and frame of mind.

For instance: A friend asks my father-in-law to visit a radio station because she believed that he could be of help. He visits the station and finds that they need more help than he can offer – they need someone who can devote hours to this work. He offers to have his wife help, his wife offers to work full time as a volunteer. Being a diligent, hard worker who does the best she can at whatever she may be doing – the radio station owner feels confident and relies on her judgment to find more people like her.

teach children success
The need arises for someone to help with the technical side of things – computers, FaceBook, website and so forth. Who does she recommend – the one person she trusts with all her computer needs: me. So I volunteer some free hours to help this local radio station with the website and other technological needs. My father-in-law who has been also helping here and there is son offered a chance to have his own radio show on Sunday mornings (The owner has spent much time conversing with my father-in-law and believes that he can do it – so without interest in having a radio show – the owner offers him one of his own accords).

Notwithstanding, the owner of the radio station ask me to work with my father-in-law on the show and offered me to be the co-chair on the show. Now, here I am with an opportunity to reach thousands of people – because I was lucky? Because I happen to be at the right place, right time, know the right people? Yes and no.

The opportunity, the luck – it happened because I try to have contacts, because I do my best to learn the new technologies, because I made myself available to do volunteer work and because God (yes I do believe in God) put this opportunity before me. Luck is sometimes more than just luck.

We often sit around waiting for something lucky to happen to use. We hate the fact that people are “luckier” than us. But in truth – sometimes, luck is about putting yourself out there. It’s about doing a little more, being a bit better and being friendly. Believe it or not – contacts, the right contacts, is all about being friendly.

Sometimes: if you want some luck in your life – you have to work for it.

"I've found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances. Be more active. Show up more often."
~ Brian Tracy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meaning of Words: Stupid, Dumb, Ignorant, foolish and Retarded

Walt Disney world - Magic Kingdom

STUCK ! on Bush Gardens ride