I surprised a teacher - bribe children?


My kid is not perfect, I and my wife are not perfect parents – but I want, I desire a better future for my children and I believe most parents feel the same way. And it makes me feel good when I see the subtle positive changes in my children.

I surprised a Teacher today.

As I walked across the school campus a former fifth grader in daycare came up to me and gave me a hug. I asked her what she was doing and she quickly said: nothing, I’m bored. So I broke out the speech I give my own children with a twist, I asked her: Is this not a school? Practice your math, read a book, keep your brain active. This quickly prompted the teacher standing near us to say: Yes, why not read a book that is on your summer reading book list? The young girl gave her this – are you crazy look.

I quickly reacted by explaining to my young friend that my nine year old son has been practicing his math everyday this summer – why, because I bribe him, no video games, TV, nothing if he doesn’t complete the math practice sheets I give him. The girl gave me this funny look and said: I’ll try to find something to read.

The teacher pulled me aside and asked me how old was my son and what school he went to. I explained to her that I have conditioned my boy to want to learn – how do I know: this morning on my way out the door he asked me for the practice math sheets that I had forgotten to give him. Her response: wow… that is good.

I’m not saying it’s easy, but every kid needs a parent that will push, motivate, excite and if need be – demand excellence.

Don’t get me wrong, it sounds easy but it’s not – that is why I take it seriously, because if I falter, all that hard work goes down the drain.
The funny thing is, my older daughter was getting a bit jealous about the “extra attention” I was giving my son with math that she asked me to do the same for her – kids.

Comments

Unknown said…
Bravo! My mother did the same for me in the summer and my friends thought it was crazy but I didn't mind. It kept my math and reading skills up. So kudos to you for keeping your son's brain active when most kids are "bored" and take the summer off mentally!

Popular posts from this blog

Meaning of Words: Stupid, Dumb, Ignorant, foolish and Retarded

Walt Disney world - Magic Kingdom

STUCK ! on Bush Gardens ride