Make $10,000 reasons to read - it's a secret about money...

Is $10,000 dollars a good enough reason to read: it’s a secret!

I love ready and while my children love to read as well the difference in what I read and what my children read varies greatly.
I know – get to the point, what about the $10,000 dollars for reading?

But before I reveal my wonderful delicious secret let me make something clear – reading can make you rich! Ok, reading can make you a large sum of money. It all depends on what you read. As I stated before, my children love to read, they have been watching me read since they were babies and I have always pushed them, motivated them to read – luckily, it has work. This is why they are wonderful successful students.

But what I read is not Twilight, Hunger games, Harry Potter and the sort – oh, don’t get me wrong I read those books because I want to know what my children are reading and it makes it easier to have conversations with them if I know what is rattling inside that little brain of theirs. But what I read are books about how to make money, how to be successful, how to books on a variety of subjects. Currently I am ready a book my brother-in-law sent me: The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller, Jay Papasan
( I suggest you order a copy it is very good ... )

Reading can be entertaining, educational and above all – prosperous. Take for example a wonderful quote from one of the greatest men we know – Abraham Lincoln.

"A capacity, and taste, for reading, gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others. It is the key, or one of the keys, to the already solved problems. And not only so. It gives a relish, and facility, for successfully pursuing the [yet] unsolved ones."
          ~ Abraham Lincoln
--September 30, 1859 Address before the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society

So, to the crux of the matter: How to make $10,000 dollars reading – it’s simple. All you have to do is follow what Abraham Lincoln said so long ago; read and learn from what others have already learned and are willing to share.
I know – hogwash! You think I am wasting your time: so listen to my story with care because this is truth and nothing but factual honest and personal truth.

In the days of the real estate boom, around the year 2005 I was working as a real estate agent and doing ok by any ones standards – I was not a great producer but what I earned paid the bills – barely. But what mattered most to me was the ability to stay home and to watch my son grow up (one of the reason why I started writing this blog about my family adventures in craziness). This was important to me because I missed so much of my daughters early years: I missed her first steps, first words – I simply missed so much that being able to be there for my son meant the world to me.

But being one that cannot settle for just barely enough I started ready books on how to improve my skills and in one particular 5oo page book I learn something that I thought was always impossible – how to legally buy and sell property with no money down.
I know, you don’t believe it – you don’t have to, I lived it.

In 1995 I had fallen for one of those buy homes with no money infomercial scams and I knew that it could not be done – but real estate was hot, I had local information on real estate and people who were looking to sell and ways on how to find buyers. What this 500 page book did for me was teach me something I as a Realtor should have already known (knowledge is power).

After three months of doing research, after talking with my broker, talking with local investors who were doing this day in and day out I decided to try my luck – trust me, success does have a bit of luck mixed in there with it.

Now remember, real estate was hot, people were buying homes, vacant land like it was going out of style. So I took the knowledge I learned from the book – which was about three paragraphs long and I went to work. I put in a contract on a vacant land for sale (no money down) with a contract clause that allowed me to resell the property if I wanted to (legal term: assign the contract to another person). The seller agreed on price and the clause. I then started to pray and to look for someone to buy this land from me.

In one week (real estate was hot) I found a buyer, they signed the contract agreeing to my asking price and then I had to go to the seller who agreed to sell me their land with an “addendum” stating they gave me permission to assign the contract to someone else – a one page add on to the contract that had about two sentences on it. Of which the seller signed. Then came the hard part, waiting, worrying – it was the first time I had ever done this and to be honest, it the buyer who was buying the land from me would have canceled on me – I did not have the money to buy this property (this is that bit of luck I was talking about).Luckily, the contract closed and I received a call from the closing agent to come down to his office and to pick up my $10,000 dollar cashier’s check.
Wow, reading one book, taking information I learned, researched and inquired about – putting that knowledge into practice and with a bit of luck, I walked away with a boat load of cash. Ok, it didn’t make me rich – but when was the last time you made $10,000 dollars in thirty days?

Of course real estate dried up, it all went bust and that knowledge is sitting in the back of my brain waiting for the next time real estate gets hot – but my point is: Reading; that is, reading the right things can be very profitable to the right person who is willing to take it and run with it.

William Medina is the author of: For Children how to become Rich, Successful and do well in school

how to challenge success
PS. You may hate what happened with the real estate bubble but I remind you: when everyone was making money, people were asking this one question: how come I am not making any money?
Did it get out of hand – yes! Did greed take over – yes! Did the banks and mortgage companies do wrong – yes! But history proves that there will always be a boom and a bust – and people with knowledge always seem to be making money?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meaning of Words: Stupid, Dumb, Ignorant, foolish and Retarded

Walt Disney world - Magic Kingdom

STUCK ! on Bush Gardens ride