Honest Author - Writing for Two Audiences at Once
When people ask me who I wrote my book series for, my answer is simple: children.
But that's only half the story.
As a parent and someone who works in the school system, I've had the privilege of watching children discover a love of reading. I've also seen the challenges families face when trying to find books that are both exciting for young readers and comfortable for parents to hand them.
That perspective shaped every page I wrote.
I wanted to create a story that would keep kids turning the pages because they couldn't wait to find out what happened next. At the same time, I wanted parents to feel confident that the book in their child's hands was one they could trust.
Writing for children isn't just about telling a fun story. It's about recognizing that there are often two readers experiencing the book.
The child is asking, "What happens next?"
The parent is asking, "Is this worth our time?"
As an author, I believe my job is to answer "yes" to both.
For young readers, that means creating memorable characters, exciting adventures, mysterious discoveries, moments of laughter, and challenges that feel real. Children deserve stories that respect their imagination and intelligence. They deserve heroes who aren't perfect but who learn, grow, and choose courage even when they're afraid.
For parents, it means something a little different.
It means knowing that the story has been written with care.
I made a conscious decision to write clean fiction—not because excitement requires less, but because I believe the best adventures don't depend on inappropriate language, graphic violence, or mature content. Real suspense comes from meaningful choices. Lasting emotion comes from characters readers care about. Great stories stay with us because of hope, friendship, perseverance, and sacrifice—not because they push boundaries.
As both a parent and an educator, I know that reading opens doors. Books have the power to shape imaginations, encourage empathy, and spark conversations that continue long after the last chapter. That's a responsibility I don't take lightly.
One of my favorite moments is seeing a parent and child reading together. They may laugh at different jokes, notice different details, or connect with different characters, but they're sharing the same adventure. Those shared experiences often become lasting memories.
That's the kind of book I wanted to write.
A book that a child eagerly picks up because they can't wait to continue the adventure.
A book that a parent doesn't hesitate to recommend or read alongside them.
A book that offers more than entertainment—it offers opportunities to talk about courage, friendship, honesty, forgiveness, and doing what's right, even when it's difficult.
Writing for two audiences isn't always easy. There were scenes I rewrote multiple times, dialogue I refined again and again, and moments where I asked myself not only, "Will a child enjoy this?" but also, "Would I feel good about reading this with my own children?"
That question became one of my greatest editing tools.
In the end, my hope is simple.
I hope young readers close the book wishing they could jump back into the story.
I hope parents close the book grateful they shared the journey.
And if the adventure inspires a family conversation, encourages a reluctant reader, or creates a new tradition of reading together, then I've accomplished something far greater than simply writing another fantasy novel.
I've helped create a story that families can enjoy together.
To me, that's worth every rewritten page.
Secrets of Whisper Pine (3-book series)

Comments