Read the First 10 Chapters FREE—and Help an Author Tell a Better Story
What if your child could help an author improve his next book?
Most authors write a book, publish it, and hope readers enjoy it. But what if an author invited readers to be part of the process? That's exactly what I'm doing.
I want to invite parents, children, teachers, grandparents, and anyone who enjoys a good mystery to read the first 10 chapters of my book, Secrets of Whisper Pine: The Missing Moo, completely FREE—and then tell me what you think.
Not just what you liked.
I want to hear what you really think. Did you like the characters? Was the mystery interesting? Did you want to keep reading? Was there a part that confused you? Did something surprise you? Was there something you didn't like? What would you change? What questions did you have? And most importantly:
Would you want to read the rest of the story?
Your opinion matters to me.
A Mystery Begins with a Missing Cow
Here's where the adventure starts: Daisy disappears.
Lost—or taken? Who kidnaps a prize cow?
As Emily begins asking questions, she discovers that Daisy's disappearance may be connected to something much bigger.
A cryptic clue appears.
A shadowy stranger emerges. And before Emily knows it, she finds herself racing through dark woods and facing dangers she never expected.
Along the way, Emily has to deal with loss, unexpected feelings, courage, and a growing threat that could cost her everything. Because Daisy's disappearance isn't the end of the mystery.
It's the beginning.
And now I want to know what you think of it.
Parents: Turn Reading Into a Conversation
There's another reason I'm making the first ten chapters available for free. I believe books can give parents and children something that can be difficult to find these days: a reason to sit down and talk.
Instead of simply telling your child, “Go read your book,” why not read the first few chapters together?
You can read a chapter and then ask:
What do you think happened to Daisy?
Who do you think is telling the truth?
Do you trust this character?
What would you do if you were Emily?
What do you think will happen next?
Which character do you like most?
Was there anything you didn't understand?
Did you find the chapter exciting—or boring?
What would you have done differently?
And then let your child give you their opinion.
Don't correct them.
Listen. Their answers may surprise you.
Children often notice things adults overlook. They may see clues, character motivations, or possibilities that weren't obvious to us.
And that's exactly the kind of conversation I hope this book can encourage.
I Want Young Readers to Have a Voice
As an author, it's easy to become attached to your own words. You spend months—or even years—creating characters, scenes, mysteries, and adventures. Eventually, you know the story so well that it can become difficult to see it through a reader's eyes.
That's why I want to hear from readers.
A child might say:
“I thought this part was boring.”
That may not be easy for an author to hear.
But it's valuable.
Another reader might say:
“I knew that character was hiding something!”
That's valuable, too.
Someone else might say:
“I didn't understand why Emily did that.”
Now I have something important to think about.
A good author doesn't just write. A good author listens.
Your Review Doesn't Have to Be Perfect
You don't have to be a professional book critic to give me useful feedback. You don't need to know anything about publishing. You don't need to use fancy words. Just tell me what you honestly think.
For example:
“I loved the mystery because…”
“My favorite character was…”
“I didn't like…”
“I was confused when…”
“I wanted to know more about…”
“I think Emily should have…”
“I would definitely keep reading because…”
Or simply:
“I liked it.”
“I didn't like it.”
That's okay. Honest feedback is what I'm looking for.
Parents, Read It With Your Child
If your child enjoys mysteries, adventures, secrets, or stories where young characters have to make difficult choices, I hope you'll give The Missing Moo a try.
And if you have time, don't just hand your child the book.
Read it with them.
Take turns reading.
Read a chapter before bedtime.
Talk about the clues.
Make predictions.
Try to figure out the mystery before Emily does.
Then ask your child the most important question of all:
“What did YOU think?”
You might discover that your child has some pretty strong opinions about the story—and you may have a lot of fun discussing them together.
Read the First 10 Chapters FREE
You can read the first 10 chapters completely FREE and decide for yourself whether Secrets of Whisper Pine: The Missing Moo is a book your family would enjoy.
Start Reading
Read the First 10 Chapters FREE
After you've read them, I'd love to hear from you.
Tell me what you liked.
Tell me what you didn't like.
Tell me what confused you.
Tell me what surprised you.
Tell me what you would change.
And tell me whether you want to keep reading.
Want the Complete Book?
If you enjoy the first ten chapters and want to discover what happens next, you can purchase the print edition on Amazon:
Order the Print Edition on Amazon
The ebook is also available through multiple retailers:
Find the eBook at Other Retailers
One Last Request
I'm not asking you to tell me that the book is perfect. I'm asking you to read it. I'm asking you to think about it. And I'm asking you to tell me what you really think. Because readers aren't just the people who buy books.
Readers are the people who help authors become better writers.
So grab your child, grab a cup of coffee, curl up together, and enter the little town of Whisper Pine.
Daisy is missing.
Emily has questions.
And somewhere in Whisper Pine, someone knows more than they're saying.
The mystery begins with the first chapter.
What will you discover?

Comments